Thursday, March 3, 2011

Self-Nurturing Lists


 SELF-NURTURING

How to Treat Myself as Someone I Respect 


Listen to my favourite music 

2. Enjoy a long, warm, bubble bath 

3. Go for a walk 

4. Share a hug with a loved one 

5. Relax outside 

6. Exercise (of my choice) 

7. Spiritual prayer 

8. Attend a caring support group 

9. Practice diaphragmatic breathing 

10. Do "stretching" exercises 

11. Reflect on my positive qualities:  "I am…" 

12. Watch the sunrise/sunset 

13. Laugh 

14. Concentrate on a relaxing scene 

15. Create a collage representing "The Real Me" 

16. Receive a message 

17. Reflect on: "I appreciate…" 

18. Write my thoughts and feelings in a personal journal 

19. Attend a favourite athletic event 

20. Do something adventurous, eg. skydiving 

21. Read a special book or magazine 

22. Sing/hum/whistle a happy tune 

23. Swing/slide/teeter/totter 

24. Play a musical instrument 

25. Spiritual meditation 

26. Work with plants, eg. gardening 

27. Learn a new skill 

28. See a special play, movie or concert 

29. Workout with weights/equipment 

30. Ride a bike or motorcycle 

31. Make myself a nutritious meal 

32. Draw/paint a picture 

33. Swim/float/wade/relax in a pool/on the beach 

34. Do aerobics/dance 

35. Visit a special place I enjoy 

36. Smile/say: "I love myself" 

37. Take time to smell the roses (and other flowers I enjoy) 

38. Imagine myself achieving my goals and dreams 

39. Go horseback riding 

40. Reflect on: "my most enjoyable memories" 

41. Enjoy a relaxing nap 

42. Visit a museum/art gallery 

43. Practice Yoga 

44. Relax in a whirlpool/sauna 

45. Enjoy a cool, refreshing glass of water or fruit juice. 

46. Enjoy the beauty of nature 

47. Count my blessings:  "I am thankful…" 

48. Play as I did as a child 

49. Star gaze 

50. "Window shop" 

51. Daydream 

52. Tell myself the loving words I want to hear from others 

53. Attend a special workshop 

54. Go sailing/paddle boating 

55. Reward myself with a special gift I can afford 

56. Take myself on a vacation 

57. Create with clay/potter 

58. Practice positive affirmations 

59. Pat an animal 

60. Watch my favourite TV show 

61. Reflect on my successes: "I can…" 

62. Write a poem expressing my feelings 

63. Make a bouquet of flowers 

64. RELAX:  watch the clouds 

65. Make myself something nice 

66. Visit a part/woods/forest 

67. Read positive, motivational literature 

68. Reflect on:  "What I value most in life!" 

69. Phone a special friend 

70. Go on a picnic in a beautiful setting 

71. Enjoy a gourmet cup of herbal tea/decaf coffee 

72. Participate in a favourite sport/game/ recreation 

73. Practice a relaxation exercise (or listen to a relaxation tape) 

74. Practice the art of forgiveness 

75. Treat myself to a nutritious meal at a favourite restaurant/café 

76. Participate in a hobby 

77. Create my own unique list of self-nurturing activities 

Reproduced from article in Guidepost 1990, by Bradley J. Provines and Judith A. Askby.


*     *     *     *     *
Taking good Care of your Caregiving Self

1. Working out at the gym
2. Running with the dog
3. Cooking tasty, healthy food
4. Aromatherapy
5. Small gestures of giving to others
6. Doing nothing
7. Silence
8. Yoga
9. Singing
10. Massage
11. Listening to, and playing music
12. Watching a feel-good movie
13. Morning meditation
14. A bath with candles and music
15. Being in a library
16. Buy yourself flowers
17. Window shopping
18. Gardening
19. Playing
20. Spending time outdoors
21. Journal writing
22. Reading a good book
23. Accepting and honouring your feelings
24. Knitting and crocheting
25. Enjoying your first sip of morning coffee or tea
26. Chatting with a friend
27. Cleaning house
28. Baking
29. Aerobic exercise - biking, cross country skiing, swimming
30. Staying calm
31. Sitting by the fire
32. Living with intention
33. Good dental hygiene
34. Regular health checkups
35. Gratitude journal
36. Last thing at night - identifying the nicest thing that's happened that day
37. Leaving the computer off
38. Avoiding the newscast
39. Laughing and having fun
40. Inspirational reading
41. Being mindfully aware/in the moment
42. Regular meditation
43. Connect with your spiritual side
44. Dancing
45. Craft work
46. Create a support network
47. Eat cookies
48. Prayer
49. Storytelling
50. Travelling and planning it before hand
51. Purposefully doing superficial things
52. Stand-up comedy, sharing a joke
53. Quilting
54. Grouse Grind
55. Candlelight
56. Cooking when not under pressure
57. Being alone and contemplative
58. Going for a sauna
59. Pedicure/manicure
60. Sex
61. Having a facial
62. Debriefing with colleagues
63. Validating yourself to yourself and to colleagues
64. Attending workshops
65. Staying in your dressing gown all am when on a day off
66. Dancing in my kitchen
67. Buying only good wine
68. Long walks on the beach
69. Hikes in the woods with the dog
70. Making photocards
71. Kayaking and sailing
72. Playing a musical instrument
73. Landscaping
74. Sleeping in
75. Pet's unconditional love
76. Driving and road trips
77. Walking to and from work
78. Sitting in a sidewalk cafe, drinking a latte
79. Pausing to breathe
80. Time with your grandchildren
81. Stomping in rain puddles or piles of leaves
82. Validating your colleagues
83. Walking in the grass in bare feet
84. Looking at clouds
85. Letting the warmth of the sun soak into your back or your face
86. Eating chocolate



No comments:

Post a Comment