Sunday, January 16, 2011

Breathing Into the Moon by Ellie

Breathing Into the Moon
by Louise Gallagher

The moon hangs 
high
golden light 
punched out 
a giant hole in
night's blanket
leaving behind your cut-out face
smiling
Your voice a gentle whisper 
filling the blood red blossom 
of dawn's awareness
bursting upon me.
I loved you.
You gave my dreams wings to fly.
 
I catch my breath. 
Waiting to hear
your voice drift 
silently
across the moonlit night
that lies so softly 
in memories arms and
empty of promises.
I fall to the ground.
 
I breathe. 
The moon stands still.
As time reorders 
its hands
touching
me in that place 
where once your shadow
fell
and claimed my every breath
as time stood still
and I disappeared
into your promises of flight.
 
The moon stands still
and still
I breathe
into the empty space
where once your face 
shimmered beneath my hands
touching
your eyes
black as night
that tore my heart
wide
open
as I held out my veins
open 
wide
to your sweet kisses in the night
The moon hung high
as you breathed
life 
into my dreams.
 
I breathe.
You disappear
and only the moon
peers down
with melancholy magic
to where I no longer feel
left out
upside down 
without you
I breathe.
 
The moon hangs 
high
as I sink 
low
my breath
catching
high
up
my heart
pounding
the ryhthm
of my spirits yearning
to fly
I lean
back
into my soul
weeping
for the moments
where I dreamed
upon the moon
of midnight flights
captive in your arms
that lay across me
pinning me to the ground
holding me in darkness.
 
The moon
punch drunk
floats across the sky
and I breathe.
Freely.
 
Time passes
the moon rises
and I fall 
back
into the void
of limitless possibilities
left in the wake of your passing by.
 
I breathe
my wings unfold. 
 
I fly.
 
Free.





Originally published August 2005